Sapna's Spicy Sessions: Indian Cooking At Home
April 24, 2020
If you're looking to fire up your family's appetite with a homemade meal full of flavour and fragrance, Sapna Anand is the chef to seek advice from. Now, you can watch her cook and chat up a storm at 4pm, every Tuesday and Friday, on Instagram Live at instagram.com/goabysapna as she shares recipes ranging from rava dosa to vegetable korma.
Today (Friday, April 24), catch the Goa-born chef at 4pm for a session on how to prepare prawn-and-mango curry!
Many thanks to chef Sapna, whose creations are the cornerstone of the restaurant Goa by Sapna Anand in KL's city centre, for sharing this recipe for Kerala Chicken Roast, a classic of southern India.
250 grams Chicken thigh, boneless
2 tbsp Tamarind (Assam java) soaked in water or lime
1 tsp Black pepper crushed
1 tsp + 1 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp + 1 tsp Chilli powder
½ tsp + ½ tsp Turmeric powder
Curry leaves from 3 stalk
2 tbsp Coconut or vegetable oil
2 inch Ginger crushed or finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic peeled and finely chopped
6 Shallots finely chopped
Coriander leaves for garnish
Step 1: chop the shallots, ginger and garlic
2. In a pan, mix the chicken with salt, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder and ½ tsp turmeric powder along with the soaked tamarind and salt.
3. Bring it to a boil till 80% liquid evaporates.
4. Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil; add in the ginger, garlic and curry leaves; sauté for 2 mins.
5. Add in the shallots and cook till they soften for about 5 minutes.
6. Add in the rest of the powdered spices, salt and black pepper; stir well; to that immediately add in the cooked chicken along with the liquids, so the powdered spices don't burn.
7. Cook till all the liquid evaporates for about 7-8 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.